How I’m Styling Some Comfortable Fall Basics/Classics To Look Fresh In 2021 – My Current Fall Uniform
Information about How I’m Styling Some Comfortable Fall Basics/Classics To Look Fresh In 2021 – My Current Fall Uniform
I’m a lover of all seasons (like all styles) but fall fashion is by FAR my favorite and I know I’m not alone. One of the reasons is that fall ‘style’ doesn’t really change too much – it’s always cozy layers and denim, mostly basics that can just be styled or supplemented to look cool. Or so I’ve tried. So I shopped my closet (and added a few things) to pull together what feels like a pretty comfortable and yet not totally boring fall capsule collection. We are talking chore coats, cardigans, denim on denim, hits of stripes, and leather. Also, I’m definitely leaning into some grandpa and commercial fisherman vibes here and I’m pretty darn into it.
The Portland Grandpa
I think Mal might have laughed out loud when I sent her this one, because yes it’s very Portland. Here we have a vintage cardigan and hat that I got at an antique Mall (wassup Stars in Sellwood). It’s an EXCELLENT cut, but if you are in the market, Alex Mill also has a bunch that are awesome. The denim shirt is Target (Universal Thread) and the cut/drape is really good – I feel like I’ve worn it a ton the last two years. I like it buttoned all the way to the top with the sleeve poking out under the cardigan (it’s thin and drape-y so it’s especially easy to layer under). The Levis are vintage and even a big baggy (I did it!!!!) that I rolled them up which I haven’t done before. I think one of my favorite things is the purse strap from Madewell that really added something special. The boots were from my boot roundup a couple years ago and they tuck in really nicely into the pants which is crucial, but here are some that are similar.
1. The Snapshot Leather Crossbody Bag | 2. Dome Crossbody Bag | 3. The Knotted Crossbody Bag | 4. The Sydney Zip-Top Crossbody Bag in Colorblock | 5. The Transport Saddlebag | 6. Naha Black Phone Mini Crossbody Bag
Head to my jeans review post for my current-ish picks:)
The Sloppy Hipster
Now Brian thought this look was funny, but I’m into it. That rugby shirt is a new addition and I LOVE it but was having problems styling it. I think it’s definitely a dress it down sort of situation so once I paired it with my sweats I liked it so much more. Then shoved said sweats into the boots and I was VERY into it, but I literally have no idea what is in fashion right now (and don’t like a lot of it) so this might be dumb. The oversized beanie is AWESOME, from Urban and the sherpa Levi’s Jacket I’ve had forever (and is a classic fall staple). And listen if you aren’t into “dressing up sweats” I get that, but I am and I really like them in these boots.
1. Tiger French Terry Rugby Shirt | 2. Rudie Oversize Rugby Stripe Shirt | 3. The Shrunken Henley | 4. Peyton Rugby Tee | 5. Aerie Long Sleeve Cropped Polo T-Shirt | 6. Polo Ralph Lauren Varsity Stripe Rugby Top
1. MWL Breeze Skinny Joggers | 2. Live In Pocket Joggers | 3. French Terry Lounge Cargo Jogger Pants | 4. On The Road Pants | 5. MWL Superbrushed Easygoing Sweatpants: Striped Trim Edition | 6. Perfectly Cozy Lounge Jogger Pants
The Denim On Denim And “Just Add Stripe”
This one is a bit more basic – denim chore coat over skinny denim (both Madewell) with the same boots. The shirt has a really cute mustard collar which shakes it up and again I like the sleeve popping out under the coat. What you can’t see well is the classic navy bandana which I think was necessary to break up the same/same ness.
1. The Turtleneck | 2. The Modern Breton Tee | 3. Whisper Cotton Turtleneck in Herrick Stripe | 4. Striped Long Sleeve French T-Shirt | 5. Whisper Cotton Rib-Crewneck Long-Sleeve Tee in Mulford Stripe | 6. Modern Stripe Crewneck T-Shirt
1. Sharnell II Waterproof Knee High Boot | 2. Sadie knee-high boots in leather | 3. Phrancie Boot | 4. Melissa Button Inside Zip Leather Boot | 5. The Winslow Knee-High Boot with Extended Calf | 6. Melissa Harness Pull On Tall
The “Sun Just Came Out But It’s Still Muddy” Look
Welcome to the pullover I’ve worn 3-4 times a week (seasonally) since last fall. The Great just launched a couple new colors, which I don’t love as much as this one but the cut is my favorite. I put it over a striped mock turtleneck (Madewell) and added some striped socks (Urban) with my new duck boots (that I’ve since fallen in LOVE with from L.L. Bean). Obviously, I wore one of my million Levi shorts which never go out of style (ish).
1. Oversized Quarter-Zip Pullover | 2. French Terry Quarter-Zip Lounge Sweatshirt | 3. Soft Fleece Half-Zip Sweatshirt | 4. Camile Pullover | 5. MWL Airyterry Half-Zip Tunic Sweatshirt | 6. Quarter Zip Sweatshirt
Head to our shorts review post for the team’s favorites!
The “Are We Doing A Turtleneck Under A Sweatshirt?” Look
I’m not a HUGE fitted turtleneck person because of my larger lovely ladies, but this one is boxier, with a dropped sleeve and a stiffer open neck. I LOVE IT (from Kule). I put it under my other zippy that I’ve been wearing a ton of (Alex Mill). I think the stripe is too much with my Vans, but I liked the flared jeans so I wanted to tuck the sweatshirt into that.
The “Neutral But Not Boring” Look
Just when I thought that my favorite jeans (going on four years) were out of style (from Moussy) I rolled them up and boom, we are back. I LOVE the cut/drape of that t-shirt in boxy thin fabric. It has a wide neck and slouches just perfectly (Sundry is made in LA, too). I added some thick mens socks from Target, my Dr. Martens (that I obviously call Doctor Martens), with my classic bandana, beanie (Urban), and sherpa jacket (old but here is a similar).
The Sweatshirt “Onesie and Donesie”
You bet I’ve been wearing the hell out of this. My stupid camera is blocking the zipper collar which is the same as my sweatshirt above, but it’s SO GOOD. It’s a heavy material so it drapes (doesn’t cling) and yet the cuffs are strong so it stays up styled like this. I’ve worn it with Vans, my Doc Martens and new Bog rain boots and it always looks cool. It has a drawstring that adds some shape, too. It’s a 10 out of 10, y’all.
The Commercial Fisherman Cozy Vibe
Yep. I’m leaning into this in every way. The jacket (Madewell, from last year) is longer than I usually like to wear, but I like it here. I layered it over my old denim thin shirt (from The Great, similar here) and then with some sweats. I think the stripe on the socks with the duck boots are my favorite part, but those sweats fall down too fast, so next time I’d get a stronger bottom cuff to assure that my socks can be seen by all.
1. The Oversized Trucker Jean Jacket in Hunton Wash | 2. Denim Oversized Chore Coat in Laurelton Wash | 3. Denim Jacket | 4. Ex Boyfriend Trucker Jacket | 5. Denim Trucker Jacket | 6. Shacket Trucker Jacket
1. Denim Button-Up Shirt in Bluffton Wash | 2. Chambray Button-Up Workshirt | 3. Denim Big Shirt | 4. Relaxed Boyfriend Western Shirt | 5. Slim-fit chambray shirt | 6. Urban Renewal Vintage Oversized Chambray Button-Down Shirt
For some great duck boots and other waterproof shoes, I talked about my current favorites here.
The Chore Coat + Stripe combo
This chore coat is excellent – stiff cut (which is what you want), but soft and easy to layer. I have a couple vintage versions of these which I love but they are wider (likely because they were mens) and this is just a very slimming cut (if you are into that). Again over the same Target shirt, vintage Levi’s rolled up and old boots that tuck. But of course, I wanted a bit of a pattern so I added that beanie (Urban) and crossbody bag (similar).
The “If I Were To Wear Heels Again” Look
I haven’t dabbled too much back into heels, but these (from & Other Stories three years ago) are still pretty darn comfortable because they are platforms. So I put them under my flares (Paige denim, last year) with the same Kule turtleneck, and my favorite tweed jacket (going on 6 years – WOAH). I feel like I could and will wear this to non-shopping meetings this fall to show that I can indeed look/feel pulled together but still casual.
Ok, that’s it! What is everyone else wearing these days? Happy fall y’all 🙂