Sweet Potato Baked Donuts (Easy, Healthy, So Good!)
Information about Sweet Potato Baked Donuts (Easy, Healthy, So Good!)
This easy stir-together baked donut recipe is one of our favorites—especially in the fall, though we’ve been known to make them in any season! They are perfectly tender, quick to make, and have the perfect amount of spice.
Sweet Potato Donuts
Baked donuts are like classic donuts, only they are baked, not fried. Which means that they are way easier to make at home, yet deliver super yummy results.
They are just as easy to make as muffins and this version is one of our favorites.
It has mashed roasted sweet potato and a little pumpkin pie spice, which a total win of a combination.
They’re a fun kids breakfast or snack, and you could also serve them for dessert if you wanted to.
Ingredients You Need
To make this recipe you need:
TIP: You can use any kind of milk you like, dairy or nondairy.
Here’s a look at the process involved in making this recipe.
- Stir together the wet ingredients.
- Add in the dry ones.
- Spoon into a donut pan.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
- Top with optional frosting if desired.
TIP: You can use pumpkin puree or canned mashed butternut squash puree if you prefer.
Frequently Asked Questions
In my opinion, the best baked donut pan is from Wilton. It’s reliably nonstick and it bakes very evenly. I like this 6-cavity donut pan.
These baked donuts don’t require yeast, so the recipe is very fast to get into the oven. No rising required! Baking powder helps these baked donuts to rise, so if you have it in your pantry, you’re good to go.
Easy Icing for Donuts
Best Tips for Success
I’d love to hear your feedback if you try this recipe, so please comment below to share!
This post was first published October 2018. Recipe updated September 2021.
Sweet Potato Baked Donuts
You can roast the sweet potato up to 3 days ahead of time and store it in the fridge until you’re ready to bake these. Or use canned or jarred puree. (Recipe updated Sept 2021.)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted and slightly cooled)
- 1/2 cup mashed sweet potato puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and coat a 6-cup donut pan with nonstick spray.
Add the egg, milk, butter, sweet potato, and vanilla to a medium bowl. Stir well to combine.
Stir in the rest of the ingredients and spoon into prepared donut pan, filling each full. (You’ll use a heaping ¼ cup batter in each.)
Bake for 16-18 minutes or until lightly golden brown around the edges and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
Remove from oven, let sit for 2-3 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack to cool slightly.
Serve topped with a drizzle of frosting (see below in the Notes), if desired.
- For the frosting: Stir together ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt, 2 tablespoons milk, 2 tablespoons honey, ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract, and a pinch of pumpkin pie spice until smooth in a wide bowl. Dunk one side of each donut in the frosting, then place onto a wire rack. Add sprinkles if desired. (Place a piece of parchment underneath to catch any drips.)
- Store for up to 3 days in an airtight container at room temperature.
- You can use mashed Roasted Sweet Potato, or canned or jarred puree.
- Let cool for 2-3 minutes in the pan and run a small knife around the edges to loosen before inverting onto a rack to cool.
- Coat the pan thoroughly with nonstick spray.
- Use or butternut squash puree instead of the sweet potato for a different flavor, if desired.
- Gluten-free: Use a 1:1 style gluten-free flour blend in place of the whole wheat flour.
- Dairy-free: Use nondairy plain milk and in place of the butter.
- Egg-free: Omit the egg. Add ¼ cup additional milk and use ½ teaspoon baking soda.
Calories: 172kcalCarbohydrates: 27gProtein: 4gFat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 242mgPotassium: 163mgFiber: 3gSugar: 11gVitamin A: 1764IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 88mgIron: 1mg